Nola M. Senna MA, MBA
- Address: 4080 FLB
707 S Mathews
Urbana, IL 61801
- Telephone: (217) 333-3390
- Email: email@example.com
- CV: Download my C.V.
- Walk-ins welcome or by appointment
Director - Portuguese Language and Brazilian Studies, Undergraduate Program
Born and raised in Salvador, Bahia, Brazil. Higher education in the US. Lived and worked in Brazil, US and England. Citizen of the world.
Currently in charge of the Undergraduate Portuguese Language and Brazilian Studies Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Main goal is to expand the program through curriculum revision, creation of new courses, and intense communication/marketing efforts. Other responsibilities include program coordination, instructor/TA supervision, teaching, material preparation and assessment, student advising, liaising with other Campus units, internal communications, among others. Teach Brazilian culture and advanced language classes.
Foreign language teacher for over three decades, have taught in a variety of programs such as Universities, Community Colleges, refugee associations and private language institutions in Brazil, USA and England. Areas of expertise include foreign languages for Business and Academic purposes. Also experienced in marketing strategies for educational institutions. An entrepreneurial approach to life and work.
Specializations / Research Interest(s)Implications of language and culture in international business environments., Foreign Languages for Specific Purposes - Business., Use of technology to enhance teaching practices: Facebook, TED, YouTube, LinkedIn, and other internet resources , Marketing and communication strategies as applied to the educational environment., Educational management, marketing and communication. teaching adults, particularly in the areas of Business/Professional skills such as language, presentations, organization, planning, time management, negotiating, corporate culture, pronunciation (accent reduction), and natural fluency.,
- MA (1992) Linguistics and TEFL, Northeastern Illinois University
- MBA (2001), Marketing, Instituto Português de Administração e Marketing (IPAM/CEDEPE)
- BA (1990) Applied Linguistics/Letras Vernáculas (Portuguese and English), Universidade Federal da Bahia/Northeastern Illinois University
- PORT 404 - Doing Business in Brazil
- PORT 404 - Brazilian Culture through Advertising
- PORT 200 - Advanced Grammar
- PORT 320 - Readings in Portuguese