Dr. Rakesh Mohan Bhatt
Associate Head, Admissions Director, Professor of Linguistics
Professor of Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education
Professor of LAS Global Studies
Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese
Center for Global Studies
Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Rakesh M. Bhatt received his Ph.D. in Linguistics from the University of Illinois. He is
now Professor of Linguistics and SLATE (Second Language Acquisition
and Teacher Education) at the University of Illinois. He is a former director of the
Program in SLATE and associate director of the Program in South Asian and Middle
Eastern Studies at the University of Illinois.
He specializes in sociolinguistics of language contact, in particular, issues of migration,
minorities and multilingualism, code-switching, language ideology, and world Englishes.
The empirical focus of his work has been on South Asian languages; particularly,
Kashmiri, Hindi, and Indian English.
His study, Verb Movement and the Syntax of
Kashmiri (1999, Kluwer Academic Press), was published in the prestigious series,
Studies in Natural Language and Linguistic Theory. He has also co-authored another
book, World Englishes (2008, Cambridge University Press). He is the author of essays in
the Journal of Sociolinguistics, Annual Review of Anthropology, International Journal of
the Sociology of Language, International Journal of Applied Linguistics, Lingua, World
Englishes, Studies in Second Language Acquisition, Second Language Research, English
Language and Linguistics and other venues.
is working on a book-length manuscript, under contract with Cambridge
University Press, on the sociolinguistic patterns of subordination of
Kashmiri language in Diaspora.
- Ph.D. Linguistics
- NSF 3-year grant on Heritage Language grammars
- Introduction to Sopciolinguistics (Ling 450)
- Language in Globalization (Ling 111)
Works in Progress
- Language Contact and Diaspora. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2011.
- Mesthrie, R. , and Rakesh Bhatt. World Englishes: The Study of New Linguistic Varieties. Cambridge University Press , 2008.
- Verb Movement and the Syntax of Kashmiri. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1999.
- "Unraveling Postcolonial Identities through Language." Handbook of Language and Globalization. Oxford: Blackwell, 2010.
- Bhatt, Rakesh. "In Other Words: Language Mixing, Identity Representations, and Third Space.." Journal of Sociolinguistics 12.2 (2008): 177-220.